Coconut oil is made up of more than 90% Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) which are the main source of benefits. Most importantly, reduced chain length also means that MCTs are more rapidly absorbed by the body and more quickly metabolized (burned) as fuel. The result of this accelerated metabolic conversion is that instead of being stored as fat, the calories contained in MCTs are very efficiently converted into fuel for immediate use by organs and muscles.
Coconut oil, having these MCTs, can do a lot for your dog, including:
- Clear up skin problems, from allergies to dry skin
- Improve general skin health
- Make their coat shiny while also deodorizing any doggy odor
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections
- Disinfects cuts
- Improves digestion
- Reduces or eliminates bad breath
- Helps control diabetes
- Increases energy
- Aids in arthritis or ligament problems
For dogs: ¼ tablespoon per every 10 pounds of body weight twice daily for basic MCT support.